Connecting your new Shark robot vacuum to WiFi opens up a world of convenient features. With WiFi connectivity, you can control, schedule, and monitor cleaning from your smartphone, even when you’re not at home. But getting everything set up can be tricky if you don’t know where to start. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the entire process of connecting your Shark robot to WiFi step-by-step.
An Overview of Shark Robot Vacuums
SharkNinja’s line of robot vacuums, marketed under the Shark brand, are powerful cleaning machines packed with smart home technology. When connected to WiFi, Shark robot vacuums can be controlled remotely through the SharkClean app, allowing you to start, stop, and schedule cleanings wherever you are.
WiFi-enabled Sharks also continuously map your home for efficient cleaning routes. Some models even empty their own dustbins or come equipped with voice controls. With a Shark robot on your WiFi network, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without one!
Why Connect to WiFi?
Connecting your Shark robot vacuum to WiFi unlocks the full potential of its intelligent cleaning capabilities. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Remote Control – The SharkClean app allows you to start and stop cleaning from anywhere when connected to WiFi. No more manual buttons!
- Smart Mapping – WiFi-connected Sharks learn your home’s layout to navigate efficiently. They’ll methodically clean room-to-room.
- Scheduling – Set cleaning schedules from the app so your floors are automatically vacuumed on a daily or weekly basis.
- Notifications – Get home cleaning alerts and maintenance reminders straight to your phone.
- Voice Control – Use Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant with select models to clean with simple voice commands.
- Automatic Emptying – Some premium Sharks can even empty their own dustbins when connected to WiFi. No mess or fuss!
Preparing for WiFi Setup
Before connecting your Shark to WiFi, take a few quick steps to prepare:
Ensure WiFi Compatibility
- Your home WiFi network must be 2.4 GHz. Shark robots do not support 5 GHz networks.
- Password-protect WPA or WPA2 networks are compatible. WEP networks are not.
- Disable any “hidden network” settings on your router. Shark robots need visible SSIDs.
Charge the Robot & Download the App
- Fully charge your Shark robot vacuum before starting. The setup process can take some time.
- Download the SharkClean app on your iOS smartphone or tablet. This is required for WiFi pairing.
With those basics covered, you’re ready to connect!
Step-by-Step WiFi Connection
Follow these steps to successfully connect your Shark robot vacuum to WiFi:
1. Launch the SharkClean App
- Open the SharkClean app on your smartphone or tablet.
- If you don’t already have an account, you will need to create one.
- Log into your account.
2. Initiate Pairing
- Follow the on-screen prompts to put your Shark robot into pairing mode. Usually, this involves pressing a “Connect” button on the robot itself.
- When pairing mode is activated, the robot will be discoverable to the app.
- On the app, select your Shark model from the list of available devices.
3. Connect to WiFi Network
- You will now be prompted to choose your WiFi network and enter the password.
- Select your 2.4 GHz WiFi network. Do not choose a 5 GHz network.
- Input your WiFi password. Note that this is case-sensitive.
- Tap “Connect” and wait for the process to complete.
4. Test Connectivity
- If pairing was successful, you should be able to control your Shark robot in the app.
- Try sending a cleaning command or scheduling a cleaning.
- As long as the robot responds, your WiFi connection was established!
Here are some things to try if you’re having trouble getting your Shark vacuum to connect:
- Move the robot closer to your WiFi router during setup.
- Double check that your WiFi network is 2.4 GHz, not 5 GHz. This is the most common issue.
- Reboot your WiFi router and restart the pairing process.
- Make sure your WiFi password was entered correctly. Triple check for typos.
- Factory reset your robot and redo the pairing from scratch.
- Check for router firmware updates from your internet provider.
If issues persist, you may need to contact Shark support for further troubleshooting assistance. Make sure to have your robot model number and WiFi network details on hand.
Enjoy a Smarter Home
When everything is up and running, get ready for the convenience of a WiFi-connected smart home. Schedule whole-home cleanings from anywhere, monitor performance, and take advantage of voice or app controls to get your floors cleaner than ever. Smart robot vacuums like the Shark are a game-changer for your home cleaning routine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I put my Shark vacuum in pairing mode?
A: Press and hold the WiFi or Connect button on your Shark robot until it beeps and/or the light flashes.
Q: What if my WiFi network doesn’t show up to connect?
A: Make sure your network is 2.4GHz, not hidden, and has a WPA or WPA2 password enabled.
Q: What WiFi networks are compatible with Shark?
A: Shark robots only work on 2.4GHz networks with WPA/WPA2 password encryption.
Q: Why does my Shark keep losing WiFi connection?
A: Check router placement and frequency interference. Reboot your router and robot and try re-pairing.
Q: How far can my Shark robot be from the router?
A: Ideally within 50 feet for a reliable signal. Walls and interference will reduce this range.
Q: My Shark WiFi setup failed – what next?
A: Try moving your robot closer, rebooting devices, double-checking the password, or factory resetting the robot.
Q: Where do I find my Shark’s model number?
A: Check the box, user manual, or underside of the robot for the model number.
Q: Why does the Shark app need Bluetooth access?
A: It uses Bluetooth to initially discover and pair with your robot vacuum.
Q: Do all Shark models support WiFi connectivity?
A: Most newer models offer WiFi and app connectivity, but some budget options do not.
Q: Can I rename my Shark robot?
A: Yes, tap the settings icon in the SharkClean app to rename your robot vacuum.
About The Author
Williams Alfred Onen
Williams Alfred Onen is a degree-holding computer science software engineer with a passion for technology and extensive knowledge in the tech field. With a history of providing innovative solutions to complex tech problems, Williams stays ahead of the curve by continuously seeking new knowledge and skills. He shares his insights on technology through his blog and is dedicated to helping others bring their tech visions to life.