FPS On PS4: How Much Is There?
Greetings, gamers! If you’re reading this, you’re probably wondering how much FPS your beloved PS4 can produce. Don’t worry; I’ve got you covered! In this article, I’ll explain everything you need to know about PS4 FPS and how you can optimize it to get the best gaming experience possible.
PS4 Technical Specifications: CPU, GPU, and RAM
Before diving into FPS, let’s first discuss the technical specifications of the PS4. The PS4 has a custom AMD “Jaguar” CPU with eight cores, an AMD Radeon GPU with 1.84 TFLOPS, and 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. These components work together to produce smooth gameplay and stunning graphics.
Understanding Frame Rate and Refresh Rate
FPS stands for Frames Per Second, and it refers to the number of frames that a game can display per second. In general, the higher the FPS, the smoother the gameplay. The refresh rate, on the other hand, refers to the frequency at which the screen refreshes its image. A higher refresh rate means less flicker, less eye strain, and a smoother gaming experience.
Checking FPS of PS4 Games: Step-by-Step Guide
To check the FPS of your PS4 games, you need to enable the “Performance Mode” in the PS4 settings. Here’s how you do it:
- Go to the “Settings” menu on your PS4.
- Select “Video Output Settings.”
- Choose “Performance Mode.”
Once you’ve enabled performance mode, you can use third-party tools like Fraps or NVIDIA ShadowPlay to display FPS in-game.
How to Check FPS on PS4 Using FPS Counter
If you’re curious about the FPS of a particular game on your PS4, you can check it using the built-in FPS counter. Here’s how:
- Start the game you want to check the FPS for.
- Press and hold the “Share” button on your DualShock 4 controller.
- Select “Sharing and Broadcast Settings” from the menu that appears.
- Scroll down to “Advanced Settings” and select it.
- Toggle the “Display FPS” option to “On.”
After enabling the FPS counter, you should see the FPS displayed in the top left corner of your screen.
How to Improve FPS on PS4
If you’re not satisfied with the FPS of your games on the PS4, there are a few things you can do to improve it. Here are some tips:
- Close other applications: Running multiple applications or games at once can slow down the performance of the PS4 and reduce FPS. Closing other applications can free up system resources and improve FPS.
- Clear the Cache: The PS4’s cache can sometimes become cluttered, which can cause performance issues. Clearing the cache can help improve FPS.
- Use a Wired Connection: A wired internet connection can help improve the stability of the PS4’s network connection and reduce lag, which can lead to a higher FPS.
Graphics Settings Impact on PS4 FPS
Graphics settings can have a significant impact on FPS. Here’s a table that shows the FPS impact of different graphics settings:
|Graphics Setting||FPS Impact|
As you can see, texture quality, shadow quality, anti-aliasing, and v-sync have a high impact on FPS. Lowering these settings can improve performance.
Boosting PS4 FPS with External Devices
If you want to boost your PS4’s FPS even further, you can use external devices like the Xim Apex or the Cronus Zen. These devices allow you to use a keyboard and mouse on your PS4, which can significantly improve your gameplay.
Troubleshooting FPS Issues on PS4: Solutions
If you’re experiencing FPS issues on your PS4, here are some solutions:
- Restart your PS4: Sometimes, a simple restart can fix FPS issues.
- Clear your PS4’s cache: Clearing your PS4’s cache can improve performance.
- Update your PS4: Make sure your PS4 is updated to the latest firmware.
- Check for overheating: Overheating can cause FPS drops. Make sure your PS4 is properly ventilated.
Comparing PS4 FPS to Other Gaming Consoles
The PS4 is known for its smooth gameplay and excellent graphics, but how does its FPS compare to other gaming consoles? Let’s take a look:
- Xbox One: The Xbox One has similar hardware to the PS4, but it has a slightly lower GPU clock speed. In general, the FPS of games on the Xbox One is slightly lower than on the PS4.
- Nintendo Switch: The Nintendo Switch is a less powerful console than the PS4, so it has a lower FPS. However, the Switch’s unique portability feature and exclusive games make it a popular choice for gamers.
- PC: PCs are generally more powerful than gaming consoles, so they can produce higher FPS. However, building a gaming PC can be expensive, so many gamers opt for consoles instead.
- The PS4 has a maximum FPS of 60, making it an excellent choice for gamers who value smooth gameplay and stunning graphics.
- The FPS of a console is just one factor that contributes to its overall performance. Other factors, such as the processor, RAM, and graphics card, also play a role in determining the console’s capabilities.
- To check your FPS on the PS4, use the built-in FPS counter or an external tool.
- To improve your FPS on the PS4, make sure to close any unnecessary apps or games, reduce graphics settings, and maintain a clean and well-ventilated console.
- The Xbox Series X and S have a higher maximum FPS of 120, making them a better choice for gamers who prioritize FPS over other factors.
The PS4 can display up to 60 FPS for most games, making it an excellent choice for gamers who value smooth gameplay and stunning graphics. However, its FPS is not the highest on the market, with the Xbox Series X and S offering a higher maximum FPS of 120. Regardless, the PS4 is still an impressive gaming console that delivers an immersive gaming experience. Remember to check your FPS and follow the tips mentioned above to improve your gaming experience on the PS4.
Can PS4 run 120 fps?
No, the PS4 has a maximum FPS of 60, which means it cannot display games at 120 FPS. However, the PS5 can support 120 FPS for select games.
How much FPS does the PS4 Pro have?
Like the PS4, the PS4 Pro also has a maximum FPS of 60 for most games. However, some games may have a lower FPS depending on their graphics requirements.
Why is my PS4 quality so bad?
Several factors can cause poor quality on the PS4, including a slow internet connection, outdated firmware, insufficient storage space, or a damaged HDMI cable. Try troubleshooting these issues to improve the quality of your PS4.
Is Warzone 60fps on PS4?
Yes, Call of Duty: Warzone can run at 60 FPS on the PS4 and PS4 Pro.
Is the PS4 in 4K?
No, the PS4 is not capable of running games in 4K resolution. However, the PS4 Pro can display some games in 4K resolution using upscaling technology.
About The Author
Williams Alfred Onen
Williams Alfred Onen is a degree-holding computer science software engineer with a passion for technology and extensive knowledge in the tech field. With a history of providing innovative solutions to complex tech problems, Williams stays ahead of the curve by continuously seeking new knowledge and skills. He shares his insights on technology through his blog and is dedicated to helping others bring their tech visions to life.